HMS Argyll from a Lynx Helicopter
Traditionally, over many centuries, City livery companies have supported the armed forces. In 1946, The Worshipful Company of Paviors formed a link with the Royal Navy when a shield bearing its crest was presented to HMS Anson. In 1991, the link with the Royal Navy was renewed through support of HMS Argyll, a Type 23 frigate, then in an advanced state of construction. This affiliation continues.
A number of joint activities take place between Paviors and HMS Argyll. The Company presents annually the ‘Seaman of the Year Award’ for the most outstanding performance by a rating and has contributed grants to provide facilities for the ship’s company. The Master Pavior and Liverymen have been hosted by a number of commanders and crew members when the vessel has been stationed in the UK, and participated in exercises at sea.
HMS Argyll is third ship in the Royal Navy to bear the name and the third of the current Type 23 ‘Duke’ class frigates. The vessel was launched by Lady Wendy Levene in 1989 and commissioned into the Royal Navy on 30 May 1991. It has a sea-going complement of 180. The ship’s motto is Ne Obliviscaris (‘lest we forget’). In 2010, the ship had a multi-million pound refit to preserve and enhance the ship’s structure, and to upgrade or replace most the weapons and on-board sensors.
The coat of arms of HMS Argyll
In addition to the affiliation with the Paviors, HMS Argyll has strong links with the sister services of HMS Vivid RNR, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and 47 Squadron RAF. Affiliations are also maintained with His Grace the Duke of Argyll, the Argyll and Bute District Council, and the Argyll Ward at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.
Pages in this section: